Swan Arcade. M.Bruce, 1961.
The Swan Arcade was a four-storey building named
after the White Swan Inn - the architecture itself displayed swans.
It was opened in 1880 by the four times Mayor of Bradford and
local MP Angus Holden. It was designed by the architects Milnes
and France, and built by J and W Beanland, at a cost of around
£150,000. The west wing, by John Moulson and sons was added
in 1881. The arcade closed in 1960 and was demolished in 1962,
to make way for the new Arndale centre. The gates, made by Hodkinson
and Co, and Taylor and Parsons, were sold off to a wealthy businessman.
The arcade was built from Bolton Woods stone and the Bradford
Beck ran beneath.